Post by tearose on Sat 1 Oct - 22:46:29

click me to read Smile
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Young Ian

Post by Lisa Fraser Ottanelli on Mon 24 Jul - 13:05:35

Hello,
I'm reading the Excerpts of book n.9 (Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone) on Diana Gabaldon's web...... I hope I'm mistaken to believe that Young Ian is going to die? it reads:
"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death, Amen." Jenny finished the prayer and they said the rest of the decade in their usual way, back and forth, the rhythm of their voices soft as the rustle of grass.
They reached the second decade, the Visitation, and he nodded at Jenny—her turn.
"For Ian Òg," she said softly, eyes on her beads. "And Ian Mòr. Hail Mary…."
Any thoughts?

Lisa Fraser Ottanelli
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Re: Excerpt from book 9

Post by tearose on Mon 24 Jul - 22:12:20

Hmm well I haven't read any excerpts for ages and unless we read it in its full context it would be hard to tell.

Does the reader know in the excerpt who 'he' is?  in the line 'and he nodded at Jenny'
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Fraser Ottanelli on Tue 25 Jul - 12:45:14

HI!
It's Jamie speaking to his sister Jenny.... Below is the entire excerpt from

Book Nine of the OUTLANDER novels. Note that there are SPOILERS…

JAMIE AND JENNY

"God, I miss the old bugger," Jamie said impulsively. Jenny glanced at him and smiled ruefully.
"So do I. I wonder sometimes if he’s with them now— mam and da."
That notion startled Jamie — he’d never thought of it — and he laughed, shaking his head. "Well, if he is, I suppose he’s happy."
"I hope that’s the way of it," Jenny said, growing serious. "I always wished he could ha’ been buried with them, at Lallybroch."
Jamie nodded, his throat suddenly tight. Murtagh lay with the fallen of Culloden, buried in some anonymous pit on that silent moor, his bones mingled with the others. No cairn for those who loved him to come and leave a stone to say so.
Jenny laid a hand on his arm, warm through the cloth of his sleeve.
"Dinna mind it, a brathair," she said softly. "He had a good death, and you with him at the end."
"How would you know it was a good death?" Emotion made him speak more roughly than he meant, but she only blinked once, and then her face settled again.
"Ye told me, idiot," she said dryly. "Several times. D’ye not recall that?"
He stared at her for a moment, uncomprehending.
"I told ye? How? I dinna ken what happened."
Now it was her turn to be surprised.
"Ye’ve forgotten?" She frowned at him. "Aye, well… it’s true ye were off your heid wi’ fever for a good ten days when they brought ye home. Ian and I took it in turn to sit with ye— as much to stop the doctor takin’ your leg off as anything else. Ye can thank Ian ye’ve still got that one," she added, nodding sharply at his left leg. "He sent the doctor away; said he kent well ye’d rather be dead." Her eyes filled abruptly with tears, and she turned away.
He caught her by the shoulder and felt her bones, fine and light as a kestrel’s under the cloth of her shawl.
"Jenny," he said softly. "He didna want to be dead. Believe me. I did, aye… but not him."
"No, he did at first," she said, and swallowed. "But ye wouldna let him, he said— and he wouldna let you, either." She wiped her face with the back of her hand, roughly. He took hold of it, and kissed it, her fingers cold in his hand.
"Ye dinna think ye had anything to do with it?" he asked, straightening up and smiling down at her. "For either of us?"[/i]

Lisa Fraser Ottanelli
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Fraser Ottanelli on Tue 25 Jul - 12:50:01

Sorry, sent the wrong chapter.......
this is the correct one which is called "FOR MURTAGH AND IAN".....

Below is an excerpt from Book Nine of the OUTLANDER novels. Note that there are SPOILERS…

"Oh, ye’ve got your beads after all," Jenny said, surprised. "Ye didna have your rosary in Scotland, so I thought ye’d lost it. Meant to make ye a new one, but there wasna time, what with Ian…" She lifted one shoulder, the gesture encompassing the whole of the terrible months of Ian’s long dying.

He touched the beads, self-conscious. "Aye, well… I had, in a way of speaking. I… gave it to William. When he was a wee lad, and I had to leave him at Helwater. I gave him the beads for something to keep—to… remember me by."

"Mmphm." She looked at him with sympathy. "Aye. And I expect he gave them back to ye in Philadelphia, did he?"

"He did," Jamie said, a bit terse, and a wry amusement touched Jenny’s face.

"Tell ye one thing, a brathair—he’s no going to forget you."

"Aye, maybe not," he said, feeling an unexpected comfort in the thought. "Well, then…" He let the beads run through his fingers, taking hold of the crucifix. "I believe in one God…"

They said the Creed together, and the three Hail Marys and the Glory Be.

"Joyful or Glorious?" he asked, fingers on the first bead of the decades. He didn’t want to do the Sorrowful Mysteries, the ones about suffering and crucifixion, and he didn’t think she did, either. A magpie called from the maples, and he wondered briefly if it was one they’d already seen, or a third. Three for a wedding, four for a death.

"Joyful," she said at once. "The Annunciation." Then she paused, and nodded at him to take the first turn. He didn’t have to think.

"For Murtagh," he said quietly, and his fingers tightened on the bead. "And Mam and Da. Hail Mary, full o’ grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus."

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death, Amen." Jenny finished the prayer and they said the rest of the decade in their usual way, back and forth, the rhythm of their voices soft as the rustle of grass.

They reached the second decade, the Visitation, and he nodded at Jenny—her turn.

"For Ian Òg," she said softly, eyes on her beads. "And Ian Mòr. Hail Mary…."

Lisa Fraser Ottanelli
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose on Tue 25 Jul - 21:17:24

It might well do I googled Òg and Mòr. Mòr means big and Òg means young.
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Fraser Ottanelli on Tue 25 Jul - 21:48:58

I Googled before contacting you as well, that's when I started "worrying"...

Lisa Fraser Ottanelli
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose on Tue 25 Jul - 22:07:55

Hmm I do vaguely remember there being some sort of reference to a character death in book 9. Do you?

Having said that Diana could have released that excerpt to confuse as and make an excellent topic for discussion.
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Fraser Ottanelli on Tue 25 Jul - 22:11:25

If so, she is doing an excellent job with me.............so sorry we need to wait until 2018 for book 9 to be released, my "confusion" will be total by then!

Lisa Fraser Ottanelli
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose on Wed 26 Jul - 21:29:52

Oh dear, Smile she may release some more excerpts for you to enjoy. Smile
It is a long wait between books, maybe after S3 has aired you could start reading the books from the beginning so that the wait for book 9 doesn't seem to long Smile
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Fraser Ottanelli on Wed 26 Jul - 22:10:00

I know I sound pathetic, but I'm presently on book 8 ..... Again!
Have read all the Lord John books..... I'll start reading Sir Walter Scott..... again!
Been to the Opera to see Lucia di Lammermoor for the 3rd time in many years.
Been to Scotland 3 times in 4 years....... not sure what else I'm to do........did I say pathetic, I meant tragic Blush

Lisa Fraser Ottanelli
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose on Thu 27 Jul - 20:37:46

aww no don't say that. hug There will be soon lots to take your mind off book 9 with the new series starting in about 5 weeks or so time.

What parts of Scotland have you visited?
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Fraser Ottanelli on Fri 28 Jul - 23:32:14

You'll be sorry you asked once I'm through with my list...... As mentioned, I've been 3 times to Scotland, always in June when the Rhododendrons and Azaleas are in full bloom.  
4 years ago I went with my 85 year old mother:
with amazing sights between one place listed below and the other, we drove from Preswick Airport to Oban via Inverary - Kilchurn Castle on Lock Awe
From Oban to Fort William via Isle of Mull (Duart Castle), Iona
Then on to Gairloch Via Eilean Donan, Plockton, Applecross....
Then Elgin via Inverewe Gardens - Dunrobin Castle
Greiff was the next overnight passing by Spynie Palace, Cawdor castle, Culloden, Castle Fraser (not Lovat ... another branch)  
then to Falkland and Linlithgow Palace, Hopetoun House and Edinburgh

I took my 2nd trip with my 3 grown up daughters - we had approx 10 days and went from Edinburgh to Fort William. Via Mull (again) and saw the most beautiful countryside on the way to Torridon......
after which we headed East to Inverness and spent 2 days there scouting the area....
taking side roads we ended up in Aberdeen and then down to the border country via Doune Castle, Sterling and the Coastal Road South of Edinburgh to Pexton house - Kelso - The Border Abbeys - Abbotsford - Traquair House.

You'll be relieved to know that my 3rd trip - again with my 3 daughters, was short thus, we spent 3 nights in Edinburgh and 2 in St Andrews, driving up the Coastal Road - Dunfermline - Kirkcadly - Crail .....
One day we went up to Dunnottar Castle Via the coastal Road and back down to St Andrews via Ezdell - Dundee .......

Now that I have exhausted you will my list of some of the places I've seen in Scotland, I can also say that I've kept all the important info such as good meals, nice places to stay, breathtaking landscape and notes of every kind ...... I'm certain that you've been so, we can swap info for the next time we go which, in my case, is next year..... as I have not been to Skye nor the far north coast of Scotland, this is where I'm heading next ..... If you have any suggestions, pls share......

Ciao, Lisa

Lisa Fraser Ottanelli
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose on Sun 30 Jul - 21:39:13

Wow you have travelled quite a lot in Scotland. I have made 3 visits, one to Edinburgh for a weekend, one to Glasgow for a weekend and we spent two weeks in Nairn and hired a car and travelled round quite a bit.

I would love to visit Skye and Mull and far North. The furthest north I have been was falls of shin area and Glen Affric and the latter was so beautiful.

The Caigngorms are amazing. Always wanted to go to Loch Lomond but haven't. Stirling Castle was a good visit too.
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top