General chat episode 15

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General chat episode 15

Post by tearose on Fri 15 May - 21:11:56

Please use this thread to discuss the episode.

Please
1. Keep on topic, if you want to discuss the show in general go to the general discussion thread for the series, if you want to talk about the weather go to Chat in the cafe etc.
2. Do not quote whole posts of other members when replying to their comments.
3. Do not post back to back.
4. Please remember that this episode covers serious subject matter and we ask that you be sensitive and tactful in your comments.
5. If you found the episode particularly disturbing and do not want to relive the episode, please do not read this thread.

Many thanks Smile

tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: General chat episode 15

Post by Marion1968 on Sat 16 May - 12:28:58

I hope the episode wil not be so hard to watch as it is written in the book..uuuuh
Marion1968
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by lochness on Sun 17 May - 0:54:22

I won't be able to post first impressions this week here in China. I tried but was unable to view the episode. I wanted to tag it here so I would get email follow up when Internet was available. Please excuse me Moderators for my "off" topic remarks.

The Smoothie
lochness
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by soniaG on Sun 17 May - 0:58:24

Dear Lochness,

good to know you arrived savely in China .. ! Wink

----------------

Dear all,

according to Diana´s FB page and on CompuServe .. this episode is not as bad as we all are dreading! But dear Marion, I do really  think .. it will be much worse to see some scenes than reading it .. Ron said several times they won´t shy away from anything ..

Well, we will see ... soonish ..
soniaG
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion1968 on Sun 17 May - 1:43:43

Yes..we will see...
Marion1968
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Aikman Lass on Sun 17 May - 1:44:20

Hello All:
Hopefully the TV scenes will not be too extreme. I'm not sure the producers can outdo the book's descriptive visions that I think were dramatic enough to make a many of us tremble from the horrors, pain & depravity. Just my thoughts.

I do hope this thread has more discussion & debate than the last episode. Conversation was very sluggish so only a few interesting opinions surfaced.

Regards
Aikman Lass

Aikman Lass
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by Teasle11 on Sun 17 May - 1:57:08

OK, I've just watched it on Amazon and I need to say something before I can sleep,it's 01:44 here!! It was AWESOME, better than the books and the actors/directors/writers deserve every honour or award available. There will be lots pf debate about this episode after last week's snoozefest. Yes,it was heartbreaking to watch and I did shed a tear, such was the strength of the performances but the violence, whilst upsetting, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, Amazon Prime rated the episode suitable for ages 12+, which I thought was bizarre as most of them are rated 15 and Lallybroch was 18. I think we'll see more in 116, where I've been told there is a brutally graphic scene. Can't wait for the next episode,although I don't want it to end. I only watched last week's episode once but I already want to watch this one again
Teasle11
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by Banshee1970 on Sun 17 May - 6:08:55

With all those teasers and rumours about this last episode I have to say that I expected it to be more graphic or brutal. I didn't find it too hard to watch, not a lot of what happened (in the book) actually happened in this episode. Maybe we'll get the full picture in next episode by getting to see as a flash back like the flogging scene?!
Overall great performance and despite the gloominess of the episode I found Angus and Rupert hilarious in this one scene.

Banshee1970
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion1968 on Sun 17 May - 10:01:54

Will the Wentworth episode be online today??????
Marion1968
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAnni on Sun 17 May - 10:30:35

I have not watched it yet but I am a little scrarred. I read the books but watching it will be much more impressive I guess

TheAnni
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Banshee1970 on Sun 17 May - 11:23:09

Marion1968 wrote:Will the Wentworth episode be online today??????

Watched it on Amazon Prime but I believe the link is already up here.

Banshee1970
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion1968 on Sun 17 May - 11:55:30

Yes, it is online here.
Watched it and I am impressed.
Not so worse as I thought but very emotional.....wooow.
such good Actors and Tobias is so scary.....uhhh
Marion1968
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by mano on Sun 17 May - 12:08:17

sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

mano
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by mano on Sun 17 May - 12:10:08

I can't admit that Frank and Black Jack are the same actor !!!! shocked shocked sad sad

mano
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marzii on Sun 17 May - 12:59:58

Took me back a bit to see Frazer Hines (Diana's inspiration for Jamie) looking so old! To think how young he was in Doctor Who and how much (relatively) older he was in Emmerdale makes me feel positively ancient lol. Love that he was included in the cast.
Have to admit, I listened more than I watched this episode; all along, I knew it would be a hard one. Looking forward to next week with mixed emotions tech station Rolling Eyes

Marzii
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sternenglanz68 on Sun 17 May - 13:10:07

Agree, not as bad as I thought it would be. But Tobias Menzies is great, great, great. What a fantastic actor. Believed him being BJR all the way to the end of the episode. His mimic is brilliant and his emotional devotion towards Jamie disgusted me so much. Boah, what did DG had on her mind when she wrote this shocked Always found these passages in the book awful but to see them brought to life was so disturbing....and I have seen lots of horror films and psycho thrillers Crying or Very sad pale sad Guess 16 will not be any different.  Only seen it once and need to digest it before watching it again Wink. Am very curious how you all react to it Question

***_________________***
Sternenglanz.......
Sternenglanz68
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ilona on Sun 17 May - 13:30:04

Dear Sternenglanz and all,

I also feel a need to digest it - or rather calm down and get back to my senses even before taking up today's chores, let alone watching it again. I am still shaking not because they showed too much but they succeeded in bringing all these big big emotions and tension across - and I only saw it on my smartphone. It was all in the characters mimics and acting and it absolutely convinced me. I can't wait to see #16, and may time rush by so I can have a DVD on my own watching the whole series over and over again on a proper screen. Unfortunately I didn't get all conversation this first time watching,  so maybe I shall give the German version a chance - it starts airing on Wednesday - unfortunately at the same time as the new episodes of Grey's anatomy - the only other TV series I waste my time with.
Am curious to learn your thoughts !
Ilona
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by outlander12 on Sun 17 May - 16:24:18

Well, just watched this episode and I am full of admiration for toby and sam in playing their alter egos of Black Jack Randall and Jamie Frazer. There was so many horrible scenes, but not unexpected, because we all know that is what happens in the books, but the one scene that really tore me up was seeing the tear roll down jamies face. But I do wonder about dianas ability to write that stuff or to even think of it. She is a true artist to be able to visulize so many different ideas put them in print and make us all feel like we are really there living it all. (But she also seems to have a dark inner side to her) . Still cant believe that the books I have loved and lived and breathed for so many years are really being made into a tv series.
outlander12
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by karelynnCDN on Sun 17 May - 16:49:57

Very good, very effective episode. Here's a few of my thoughts.

The opening scene in the courtyard of Wentworth Prison, hanging after hanging, grabbed your attention immediately, emphasized the gravity and hopelessness of Jamie's dire situation, becoming sickening as the English methodically executed man after man and dispassionately recorded it.

I don't know how Sam and the various directors managed it but captured and robbed of his freedom, Jamie almost seemed to grow, appearing larger and more substantial as if to compensate, trying to appear less helpless, less impotent.

As we follow Claire through the endless and endlessly dark hallways and she then unlocks a massive door, how surprising was it when 'inside' there was bright sunshine and an almost pastoral view? Here is where she and Jamie belong, not inside with the darkness, a darkness that mirrors Randall's twisted mind.

Tense moments when Claire finds Jamie with Randall in his cell. But the desperation shown and actions taken of all 4 human beings in that cell in the moments after Claire rushes out of the grasp of Randall's simpleton henchman was brilliant cinema.

And of course we see now the full evidence of Jamie's previous statement to Claire, 'Randall likes to play with his toys.' Black Jack's patience and calm while in full 'monster' mode is chilling and rightly or wrongly (as to possible repercussions) prompts Jamie to spit out that Randall is the sick one.

I was surprised that with few minutes left in the episode, McRannach made his appearance and yet all story details were quickly covered and the stage set for next week's rescue.

karelynnCDN
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAnni on Sun 17 May - 19:12:05

Wow what an episode. Looking forward to next week

TheAnni
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacq01 on Sun 17 May - 19:37:42

TheAnni, you have to wait 2 weeks, final epi on May 30
Jacq01
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by sabasands on Sun 17 May - 20:30:09

Wonderful wonderful wonderfully horrific. Amazing yet again that they could pull this ask of in an hour and cover everything so well.

Glad they skipped the wolf.....cgi would have sucked.

Love the changes, they flowed and really didn't seem to take anything away from the story.
sabasands
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by lejir on Sun 17 May - 22:11:47

I have read that this episode would be shocking and controversial. Hmmm...? That was really not as traumatizing as it could have been.
Well, the actual very shocking parts are coming later on in the books, when Jamie is telling Claire what exactly happened in the prison. I remember how the words and images where just burned into my brain for days while I was reading this passage... Maybe details will be revealed as flashbacks in season 2.
Anyway... Although I am enjoying watching the series, I think that it remains a very short resumé of the story. Having previously read (twice!) the books, I can understand the complexity of the story and the series is still reaching me emotionally. But I wonder how people who never read the books perceive the tv series? ... I guess we won't find many of these specimen here on this Forum Wink

lejir
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Islanderlady on Mon 18 May - 1:19:51

Just watched this episode. It was one thing to read these parts and let my mind fill in the pictures. I can honestly say it's going to take a few tries to get through this whole episode. They have done such a great job with this series. My mind knows it's fake but it sure looks so real!! pale

I can't imagine how much it must take out the actors to shoot these intense scenes.  

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. ilikeit
Islanderlady
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by katfin on Mon 18 May - 11:00:19

This was not so bad... or as horrible as it was advertised through the week, it was best episode so far I think the whipping ep was so much worse. Sure this is no easy to watch but still that is how it is written. And there was so much feeling. I would have been let down if this would have been made any easier just because. And I absolutely loved Murtagh smiling when he got the idea of releasing cows Smile
katfin
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top