Favourite and least favourite scenes ep 13

Post by tearose on Sat 2 May - 22:02:05

Please share with us what you did or didn't like and why. Smile
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Favourite and least favourite scenes ep 13

Post by outlanderfan on Sun 3 May - 16:35:41

up to now, there was no possibility to watch it. ...

outlanderfan
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Aikman Lass on Wed 6 May - 1:30:25

Thank you tearose!

Overall I would say nice dramatic show with lots of action, wonderful acting & great scenes....except that the producers portray 'The Watch' in an earlier episode & this one as dangerous, loutish, violent criminals robbing crofters & clans leaders... when in all actual fact 'The Watch' were regiments paid to monitor and stop cattle rustlers (reivers) & smuggling and apprehend criminals...I have done long research & so far have not found even a hint that the 'The Watch' was involved in criminal actions.

One scene that I do not like at all....one badly presented scene (I must mention this scene does not exist in the book).....it is where Jamie is paying Horrocks blackmail money & realizes he will probably have to kill the man but his best & life long friend Ian kills Horrocks. Now if we look at Ian's character based on the few bits & pieces gleaned from the show's scenes we know Ian is a tough trained fighting man who fought overseas with Jamie & lost his leg in battle....in the book these are also the facts we know about Ian plus we know he would have fought protecting Jamie's weak side . My beef is all of a sudden the producer presents Ian as a shaken, shocked, terrified & weak man as if he had never killed a man before plus he doesn't even think to clean his blade before sheathing it.....an action that all fighting men would do automatically to avoid the blade rusting.  The producers are so intent on getting their ratings higher that they are not paying attention to even the material they script for the show. This was poorly done on so many levels. My beef for the day.
Regards
Aikman Lass

Last edited by Aikman Lass on Wed 6 May - 14:48:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed wording)

Aikman Lass
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by shinta73 on Wed 6 May - 21:02:10

Hi, just got round to watching it, too. I was looking forward to the scene where Jenni is just delivered of the baby and Claire finds the men totally drunk, because they thought she had died. What have they done to Ian's character?! Did they choose to show him as post-traumatic stress victim to offset Jamie's manliness? Ian and Jamie being super nonchalant about Jenni being in childbirth for more than a day and happily riding off with the 'brotherhood', that scene just cheapened the characters further for me, sorry. And the scene from the book, where the red coats enter the birthing chamber and Jamie hides in the cupboard with the new born baby - I guess this was another scene that had to be cut to keep Jamie as heroic as possible and allow for the added storyline? And the poignant discussion about having children between Claire and Jamie, which arises in the book after witnessing Jenni's struggle in child bed, was edited into the script in a way that didn't flow. It's important for later in the series and they threw it away by not setting it up properly. I was fairly disappointed with this episode, I have to say. The only nice touches that were true to character, in my opinion, were the one between Jenni and Claire in the birthing chamber.

shinta73
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagur on Wed 6 May - 21:26:48

shinta73 wrote: And the scene from the book, where the red coats enter the birthing chamber and Jamie hides in the cupboard with the new born baby  
Hi, shinta73,
that´s in book 3; it happened after Culloden when Jenny was giving birth to young Ian.
Shagur
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagur on Sun 10 May - 10:18:53

Aikman Lass wrote:
One scene that I do not like at all......it is where Jamie is paying Horrocks blackmail money & realizes he will probably have to kill the man but his best & life long friend Ian kills Horrocks. Now if we look at Ian's character based on the few bits & pieces gleaned from the show's scenes we know Ian is a tough trained fighting man who fought overseas with Jamie & lost his leg in battle....in the book these are also the facts we know about Ian plus we know he would have fought protecting Jamie's weak side . My beef is all of a sudden the producer presents Ian as a shaken, shocked, terrified & weak man as if he had never killed a man before plus he doesn't even think to clean his blade before sheathing it.....an action that all fighting men would do automatically to avoid the blade rusting.
[/color]
Dear Aikman Lass,
thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the series with us; I am sorry for you that you are getting more and more disappointed with the show.
That scene with Jamie, Ian and Horrocks you described - I did understand it very different to you. For me, Ian was not weak. Hi did leave the fighting and killing behind him when he came home and married Jenny. He thought that he had finished that part of his life.He had spent about four years peacefully at Lallybroch with no violence. So now he had to kill again to protect his family, he was shocked how "naturally" he did it. There was no hesitiation, the blade went straight through the heart of Horrocks. Yes, he was shocked by what he did because Horrocks was part of the watch and by killing him, Ian himself has endangered the whole family and the estate. Besides, he did kill Horrocks from behind, no chance for the man to defend himself. How honorable is it for a former soldier to kill someone that way, even if he does it to protect his brother in law and best friend? Personally, I like the way they showed Ian very much. Ian is able to protect his family (even with just one leg) but he does not take the killing easy. And he is very different to Jamie - I just wrote a few lines about Jamie being a "bloody man" in the general discussion.
Shagur
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by jen001 on Sun 10 May - 22:24:57

Shagur wrote:
Dear Aikman Lass,
thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the series with us; I am sorry for you that you are getting more and more disappointed with the show.
That scene with Jamie, Ian and Horrocks you described - I did understand it very different to you. For me, Ian was not weak. Hi did leave the fighting and killing behind him when he came home and married Jenny. He thought that he had finished that part of his life.He had spent about four years peacefully at Lallybroch with no violence. So now he had to kill again to protect his family, he was shocked how "naturally" he did it. There was no hesitation, the blade went straight through the heart of Horrocks. Yes, he was shocked by what he did because Horrocks was part of the watch and by killing him, Ian himself has endangered the whole family and the estate. Besides, he did kill Horrocks from behind, no chance for the man to defend himself. How honorable is it for a former soldier to kill someone that way, even if he does it to protect his brother in law and best friend? Personally, I like the way they showed Ian very much. Ian is able to protect his family (even with just one leg) but he does not take the killing easy. And he is very different to Jamie - I just wrote a few lines about Jamie being a "bloody man" in the general discussion.

Yes, that's exactly how I saw it and I like the portrayal of Ian (love Jenny too).  There has been the odd occasion when I've wondered about the changes, but I am very happy that we actually get to see a TV series of Outlander.  The quality of the production is amazing  and, given some other TV adaptations of books, it could have been so much worse. I think it's very important when watching the show that you separate the books from the TV program, otherwise disappointment is almost guaranteed.

jen001
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Banshee1970 on Sun 17 May - 6:26:44

shinta73 wrote:I was looking forward to the scene where Jenni is just delivered of the baby and Claire finds the men totally drunk, because they thought she had died.

I loved that scene in the book too and can't really see why they left this out. Some changes or twists I get but some aren't really adding to the story, e.g. Jamie interacting with the Watch and he and Ian riding off with the Watch. Ok, probably wouldn't have been as dramatic if they'd stuck to the book but ...
On the other hand the change Jamie facing the Watch at Lallybroch showed us a great performance of Sam Heughan: I LOVED the scene where they are sitting at the dining table and Jamie admits to Tam that he killed Horrocks and why he did it - his demeanor was calm and polite and his eyes had the clear thread "and I can do the same to you, so be careful!" of Hannibal Lector in the last scene of Silence of the lambs "I must go now, I'm having an old friend for dinner!"

Banshee1970
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top