General Chat

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Chat

Post by Sternenglanz68 on Sat 18 Apr - 20:35:56

Dear all,

this topic is for general chat on episode 11. Please remember the following from episode 10 chat......

Logo: Stop posting back to back please. (Posting back to back is when you post and then post again without anyone else in between.)

tearose: Also everyone, it is not necessary to quote the whole of someone else's post. Please pick out the relevant line or paragraph and copy and quote bubble, if you want to comment directly on that. Please can you also stay on topic, this thread is about episode 11 for Outlander, only.

We know you are all very excited and happy to view the new episodes and discuss them afterwards but please stick to it. And keep on topic!!!

Many thanks.

Last edited by Sternenglanz68 on Sun 19 Apr - 17:37:39; edited 1 time in total

***_________________***
Sternenglanz.......
Sternenglanz68
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: General Chat

Post by Ilona on Sun 19 Apr - 7:49:16

Yeeeeha, It's there in time !!! Thank you, Logo ! Will post feedback when I've watched it.
Ilona
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by mano on Sun 19 Apr - 9:42:57

Oh God!!!! what a wonderful episode !!! mex wave mex wave
Geillis u r so perfect !!!!

mano
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pia on Sun 19 Apr - 11:22:05

Not my favourite. I understand the need for modifications, film versus book, but I think that they could have kept the story line with the witch trial closer to original story. It felt a bit clumsy. Ending was very strong, though Smile

Pia
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by soniaG on Sun 19 Apr - 11:37:18

Dear all,

I still haven´t watched it! Wink Later .. have a lot of things to do which are time sensitive .. so watching episode 11 will be present after all the work .. Wink

So, interesting that the reaction til know rank from happy to not happy!!

I am wondering which might be my own reactions .. scratch

Looking forward to read further comments here .. and dear Pia, what exactly you didn´t like? Could be more specific? And did you watch it more than once? I am asking because I need usually four times rewatching til I forget the book and starting to enjoy it ..

So, for now .. happy watching to all

Last edited by soniaG on Fri 24 Apr - 22:28:30; edited 1 time in total
soniaG
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda M on Sun 19 Apr - 11:55:26

so grateful to watch the episode here ! Was in a panic when Lightbox (NZ) decided to throw a hissy fit my way....have now fixed after watching ep 11 what a relief.....thank you again....
Linda M
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by sheila on Sun 19 Apr - 12:12:43

oh my god!!! what a wonderful episode!!! oh, jamie, you're the best!
sheila
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by connieg on Sun 19 Apr - 14:38:36

I loved it!
I know the trial was different from the book, especially at the end where Geillis shows her smallpox scar. In the book, Claire only notices it when Geillis spins around to create a diversion for Jamie to take Claire away. As well, didn't the trial take place outdoors and Jamie rode up on Donas?
I especially loved the last 20 minutes....the honesty between Claire and Jamie, the look on Jamie's face throughout, while Claire was telling her story, his determination to let her go and his relief when she didn't!
Going to watch it again....and again.....sigh

connieg
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by soniaG on Sun 19 Apr - 15:49:49

Dear all,

this is the first episode I loved all around ..  excited happy !! With the gathering and the opening episode this is one of my favorite episodes so far!!

More from my side later  .. Wink

P.S. I do have the question .. what about the smoke reaching toward the sky before Claire suppose to leave at the end .. has anyone a good interpretations?

connieg wrote: As well, didn't the trial take place outdoors and Jamie rode up on Donas?

Dear Connieg,

it is not the book and if you look at the twitter messages of Ron I explained to you all where to find it .. you will find out why the trial didn´t take place outside! Wink

Last edited by soniaG on Fri 24 Apr - 22:29:05; edited 2 times in total
soniaG
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by CdnScots on Sun 19 Apr - 16:14:05

I've now watched it twice - and I have to say that the acting performances, especially Sam and Cait were outstanding. They made the the last 20 minutes so believable, they had me crying non-stop (each time I watched). It was so packed full of gut-wrenching, raw emotion. And I'm familiar with the book series, so know what's coming. I can only imagine how a viewer who doesn't know the story is reacting.

If one hadn't yet fallen in love with Jamie Fraser before this episode - his unselfish acts in this episode will endear him to you forever. This is Jamie's finest hour - the moment that makes it difficult for other men to measure up to. And why it will be so difficult in upcoming episodes to witness what comes his way.

CdnScots
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by GlengarryGal on Sun 19 Apr - 16:35:40

Wonderful episode! Too bad Lotte won`t be continuing in the series. I liked her portrayal and would have enjoyed seeing more of her. Although a sharing and commonality between she and Claire might have taken away the special bond that Claire and Jamie now have....so a good choice by Diana in terms of storyline.
GlengarryGal
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by connieg on Sun 19 Apr - 17:00:42

soniaG wrote:

P.S. I do have the question .. what about the smoke reaching toward the sky before Claire suppose to leave at the end .. has anyone a good interpretations?

I think that was the smoke from the cabin where Jamie said he'd wait until night to make sure Claire was safe.

connieg
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by soniaG on Sun 19 Apr - 17:18:23

GlengarryGal wrote:Wonderful episode! Too bad Lotte won`t be continuing in the series. I liked her portrayal and would have enjoyed seeing more of her. Although a sharing and commonality between she and Claire might have taken away the special bond that Claire and Jamie now have....so a good choice by Diana in terms of storyline.                

Dear GlengarryGal,

I do think in season two or later seasons (so said Ron) we will see more of her .. Wink

Dear Connieg,

thank you .. good hint!! Wink
soniaG
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by GlengarryGal on Sun 19 Apr - 17:28:19

soniaG wrote: Dear GlengarryGal,  I do think in season two or later seasons (so said Ron) we will see more of her .. Wink

Yay! Thanks, soniaG!
very happy
GlengarryGal
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by CdnScots on Sun 19 Apr - 17:52:50

I thought it was quite ingenious of the writers and Ronald D Moore to insert the line spoken by Claire to Geillis: "I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country".

If Geillis had suspected of Claire's origins before this moment, it was confirmed to her at hearing that line. These were the last words of Nathan Hale, an soldier for the Continental Army during the American Revolution War, who was hanged in 1776 - which was still 30 years away. Geillis immediately recognized the famous quote, and knew for sure that Claire was also a time traveller like herself.

CdnScots
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by soniaG on Sun 19 Apr - 18:05:33

GlengarryGal wrote:
soniaG wrote: Dear GlengarryGal,  I do think in season two or later seasons (so said Ron) we will see more of her .. Wink

Yay! Thanks, soniaG!
very happy

Your welcome, dear GlengarryGal! Wink
soniaG
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by sabasands on Sun 19 Apr - 18:20:52

Absolutely phenomenal episode!!! I am always amazed at how much then can cover in one episode and still honour the books so well! I am over the moon at how they portrayed everything in this episode (even though some things were missing - I still think they did a marvelous job!)

Lotte is phenomenal and I too will miss her but can't wait to see her down the road....

Cait and Sam were beyond incredible post witch trial. I gasped, shook, cried and smiled. Their acting was so raw and the emotions leapt through the screen and went right to the heart!

Thank you so much for posting these on here....I know I get to watch it tonight here in Canada but I can never make myself wait until 9pm!!!! Thank you!
sabasands
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

episode 11

Post by buttwheat on Sun 19 Apr - 18:50:59

Once again they did a great job! Different from the book but still really good. I liked the part of Geillis being carried out, very dramatic. I wish they had added the part where Jamie wishes Claire a happy birthday and discovers she is quite a bit older than him. I also wish they had added where Jamie asks why she chose to stay, and Claire answers that hot baths almost won and then cried for Frank. Of course they can not add all my favorite parts from the book without the episodes being way to long:) I can't wait for next week!!

buttwheat
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagur on Sun 19 Apr - 19:09:07

Just watched it the first time ... now I have to dry up my tears, get some more tissues and watch it again ... with a glass of 30 year old Highland Park (my whisky for special occasions)
Shagur
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by lochness on Mon 20 Apr - 3:01:19

I am sitting in a plane being delayed by thunderstorms in Houston where I just watched the episode on my IPad after downloading it. My reaction? Well after I read this part of the story in the book I waited several days for my wife to catch up so I could tell her the following . "Thank you for choosing to share your life with me". Though the TV series got me teary eyed it was not nearly as visceral if that's the word that best applies. So ladies being a passionate and very emotional male I have to tell you I found myself disappointed at the choices made. They spent this hour foolishly because they short changed one of the greatest moments of Book 1 or for that matter any of the series. Choosing to dwell on a non convincing trial and a defanged Father Bain ? Really odd decision. Was this mean't to setup Legohaire as the real witch after all ? If so it did not work. The TV series has made odd choices as well in the buildup to the stones with Claire anything but torn before them and she really failed to recognize that they had camped just below them? Where was the fear that they were suppose to cause her? This last scene was rushed and really failed through lack of attention to be more convincing then it was. It certainly could have been considering the quality of our actors. I realize that Claire couldn't admit to Gellis that she really loved Jamie in the Thieves hold of this production for the suspense to build up but that was a great moment as well in the book for me.
lochness
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by jen001 on Mon 20 Apr - 5:34:21

I loved this episode, although I would have liked to hear some explanation of where Jamie appeared from to save Claire. And I'm happy that they finally included the honesty conversation.

I've read the books  (more than once) and love them, but understand that Ron Moore and the writers have to adapt and change the story to suit a television series and I think they're doing a great job.

jen001
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by lochness on Mon 20 Apr - 6:32:36

Dear Logo I think this is legal after all there is a post between. Finally arrived after a long delay. Watched the episode again in flight. Really is this the best they could do "Time to get up soldier" compared to Claire finding him asleep and lying next to him as he wakes up as if in a dream to find her there. As I watched the scene at the rock I found myself inserting "Is there nothing for me here Jamie?". I played that segment back several times because I couldn't believe it was left out. All they could think of was her saying "Goodbye". Really?this part at the stones was amazing,sensual,heart renching which I felt they could have done a lot more with,Just me?
Dear Sonia as you can tell the meeting has concluded eagerly wait for your reply as well as Shagur and all my other forum friends.
lochness
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by soniaG on Mon 20 Apr - 6:57:46

lochness wrote: So ladies being a passionate and very emotional male I have to tell you I found myself disappointed at the choices made. They spent this hour foolishly because they short changed one of the greatest moments of Book 1 or for that matter any of the series. Choosing to dwell on a non convincing trial and a defanged Father Bain ? Really odd decision. Was this mean't to setup Legohaire as the real witch after all ? If so it did not work. The TV series has made odd choices as well in the buildup to the stones with Claire anything but torn before them and she really failed to recognize that they had camped just below them? Where was the fear that they were suppose to cause her? This last scene was rushed and really failed through lack of attention to be more convincing then it was. .. I realize that Claire couldn't admit to Gellis that she really loved Jamie in the Thieves hold of this production for the suspense to build up but that was a great moment as well in the book for me.

Dear Lochness,

so great to read your impressions!! In the moment I have not time to tell my thought to your lenghty comment .. but later! Wink (I have a very important meeting today!)

At first I will tell you I do understand you in many ways! Although I do find (if I handle the TV show totally separated from the book story) this episode well made (in comparison what has been shown on TV so far) ..  I must frankly admit .. contrary to the most comments here the stone scene didn´t make me emotional and crying. The book story scenes about Jamie deciding leaving Claire and Claire debating inside herself and the exact scene where Jamie said good-bye BUT did make me very emotional.

For me now .. it is a totally different story on screen .. not my book and not anywhere close to my own imaginations .. to be frank. But somehow I am grateful for that ... because like this the books belongs to me ..Wink

The last scene I did find, too, totally rushed! Wink So .. more later .. Wink Save journey for you both!

Last edited by soniaG on Mon 20 Apr - 17:49:43; edited 1 time in total
soniaG
Jenny

Back to top Go down

Post by OutlanderTVSeries on Mon 20 Apr - 11:59:51

lochness wrote:As I watched the scene at the rock I found  myself inserting "Is there nothing for me here Jamie?". I played that segment back several times because I couldn't believe it was left out. All they could think of was her saying "Goodbye". Really?

Well, this is exactly what I have missed most in this episode.

My husband, who didn't read the books, is watching Outlander with me. When he saw the stones he said: "Oh, Claire can finelly go home now."  surprised
The last scene was showing Claire with Jamie again, and my husband was totally confused. He asked me why she went back to Jamie and why she didn't go back to Frank. Because this is all she wanted all the time.
So I think, that the feelings and the relationship between J&C is not shown well in the show. All you see between J&C is passion. For somebody, who didn't read the books is not obvious, that the two fell in love.

The next thing my husband was not realizing, is that travelling through the stones is dangerous. I think this is one more think, which was not explained enough in the show.

And the worst of all was the last scene...
"On your feet soldier..." - seriously???   Evil or Very Mad

I missed Murtagh riding to Jamie like a fool to tell him what's going on.

What I did really like is Geilis' acting. She was wonderful in this show. Well done.
OutlanderTVSeries
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by lochness on Mon 20 Apr - 13:50:45

Dear Outlander TV Series

My husband, who didn't read the books, is watching Outlander with me. When he saw the stones he said: "Oh, Claire can finelly go home now." surprised

Exactly! The way they have done the TV series has only been showing us that J&C are really good in bed together and that Jamie is an honorable bloke who takes seriously the responsibilities of protecting his spouse. There is nothing else at this point going on in the screen version. At this point they can't sell Claire's attempt at rescuing Jaime at Wentworth except that she needs him to protect her and deliver great sex.

"All you see between J&C is passion. For somebody, who didn't read the books is not obvious, that the two fell in love."
Dear Sonia whats even worse is they have this opportunity to really play with our emotions and they are not taking advantage of it. Why? What is in their plans that is making them avoid Claire saying she loves Jaime in Thieves Hold". Why is Claire prevented from emotionally responding to Jaime in the fashion that her character is fully capable of? Take off the restraints Ron before you lose an audience that can't figure out why she didn't travel back to Frank as she has been intending to do since she was transported back in time.

Dear All

I realize you are trying to be fair to the screen presentation but this production is in deep deep trouble. If they can't convince a non book reader that Claire made the one choice because she had fallen for Jaime over Frank through compelling on screen actions and dialogue this production will lose the segment of viewers it needs to be successful and profitable. What does this mean? The series after this next year and beyond may not happen. Just my thoughts what are yours?
lochness
Wee Hamish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top