Genealogy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Genealogy

Post by terrianne on Sat 18 Apr - 20:30:13

I'm certain I'm not the only genealogist here!

I've been researching my family tree for nearly 15 years now and wow, have I unearthed a few "surprises"!

I've found more than a few pints of Irish, Welsh blood and Romany blood; a glassful of Dutch blood; more ancient criminals than I care to count and a handful of lords and ladies.

But not a single Scot. I can't imagine why this is!!!surprised

terrianne
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Re: Genealogy

Post by tearose on Sat 18 Apr - 23:08:41

you are not alone, it really is an interesting pastime Smile
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jean Read on Sun 19 Apr - 7:21:33

I've not actually researched my self though my eldest Son and two of my cousins did. Was saddened to know many of my paternal ancestors lived in work house's in East London. Thrilled to learn of Huguenot's on Maternal side, sad that many records destroyed in the French revolution..
Jean Read
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by terrianne on Sun 26 Apr - 19:19:52

Despite not having a single Scot in my family (or none that I've found so far), my gran's maiden name was Randall! How ironic.

terrianne
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose on Sun 26 Apr - 21:21:42

Indeed terrianne Smile

Jean. yes that was a hard life in the work house. Interesting on the Huguenots too Smile

If anyone needs any help with their tree drop me a PM Smile
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Islawhite on Sat 2 May - 16:48:03

You are not alone! I absolutely love genealogy! Fairly standard stuff for me - all Irish with only a hint of English in there! It can be quite a challenge with the few Irish records that there are - but I love it!!

Islawhite
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by terrianne on Sun 3 May - 20:24:53

You're not wrong there! My dad was Irish and I've only been able to go back to his grandparents. That was a struggle that took several years research. Sadly, I started too late - dad died many years ago and now I have dozens of questions and there is no-one left in his family to answer them.

terrianne
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Islawhite on Mon 4 May - 8:13:25

Funnily enough I did start early enough but older people, especially back then, just did not talk about certain things.  It can be difficult to piece it all together.  The majority of mine were Roman Catholic so have managed a lot through the church records.  I used rootsireland (pay site) and also found findmypast (pay site) quite interesting and helpful.  

Just to note that if anyone is researching Irish Roman Catholic families the National Library of Ireland will be releasing digitised images of about 98% of rc parish registers on the 8th July this year.  It will be free and may cover from approx 1740's in some parishes to 1880's or 1900 in most parishes.

HTH

Isla

Islawhite
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by terrianne on Tue 5 May - 17:46:50

That's brilliant news Isla, thanks for that.

I started my dad's research when I found his army records on Ancestry which (very kindly!) named both his mother and grandmother as next of kin.    It still wasn't easy, but I was able to discover than his grandmother had given birth to dad's father at the age of 15 and was, of course, unmarried. No doubt that went down like a lead balloon in rural Catholic Ireland in the 1920's. I guess she was lucky to remain with her family and keep the baby as opposed to being dumped in one of those terrible mother and baby convents.

I have also discovered that dad had a twin brother and one of his brothers also had a twin brother, both twins having disappeared at birth or thereabouts. But they didn't die .............!! What a mystery and too late now to solve it.

terrianne
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by tearose on Tue 5 May - 22:57:12

that is a mystery terrianne Smile
tearose
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Islawhite on Wed 6 May - 14:34:40

Wow that is certainly a mystery - wouldn't it be great to be able to solve it?

Smile

Islawhite
Wee Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top